If you’re looking to register a .nz domain name, you’ll need to perform a NZ domain name lookup to check its availability and find out who owns it.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the process of checking domain name availability, finding out who owns a .co.nz domain, and buying a .co.nz domain.
benefits of owning a .NZ domain
Owning a .nz domain name offers numerous benefits for businesses and individuals looking to establish a strong online presence in New Zealand. Here are some compelling reasons to consider a .nz domain:
- Trust and credibility: A .nz domain name is a symbol of trust and credibility for New Zealanders. According to InternetNZ, 71% of New Zealand businesses and 76% of New Zealand consumers agree that .nz domains are more trustworthy.
- Local relevance: A .nz domain name shows that your business is based in New Zealand and caters to the local market. This can help attract local traffic to your website and increase engagement with New Zealand consumers.
- SEO boost: Using a .nz domain name can give your website a rankings boost in search engines like Google.co.nz. This can help improve your website’s visibility and attract more organic traffic.
- Easy registration: Registering a .nz domain name is straightforward. You don’t need to supply any special details like a business or organization number. Just a name, address, and contact details should be sufficient.
- Kiwi badge of honor: A .nz domain name is a popular choice for local businesses, organizations, and individuals who want to establish a strong online presence in New Zealand. It’s like a Kiwi badge of honor in the digital world.
- Encourages local trade: A New Zealand .nz domain name can reinforce your presence in New Zealand and encourage local businesses to purchase from you rather than a competitor.
- SEO page rank boost: A .nz domain name can boost the SEO page ranks in search engines, which are country/industry-specific. This can help improve your website’s visibility and attract more organic traffic.
- No hidden fees: When registering a .nz domain name, you will not find any unexpected hidden release or administration charges. The New Zealand domain name is yours to move as you see fit.
- Free services: Some domain registrars offer free services like two free mailboxes and a free starter web hosting package when you register a .nz domain name
- Supporting local economy: By choosing a .nz domain name, you are supporting the local economy and helping to keep New Zealand’s digital landscape thriving.
.nz domain name offers numerous benefits for businesses and individuals looking to establish a strong online presence in New Zealand.
Checking Domain Name Availability
Before you can register a .nz domain name, you need to check if it’s available. You can do this by performing a domain name lookup using a WHOIS lookup tool.
The Domain Name Commission (DNC) of New Zealand provides a WHOIS lookup tool on their website.
To check if a domain name is available, enter the domain name in the search tool and click “Check”. The results will show if the domain name is available or already registered to someone else.
Finding Out Who Owns a .co.nz Domain
If you’re interested in buying a .co.nz domain that’s already registered, you’ll need to find out who owns it. The DNC also provides a WHOIS lookup tool that can be used to find out who owns a .nz domain name.
Enter the domain name in the search tool and click “Lookup”. If the domain name is registered, you’ll see its details, including the registrant’s name and contact information.
Buying a .co.nz Domain
Once you’ve found an available .co.nz domain name or have identified the owner of a registered .co.nz domain name, you can proceed with buying the domain. There are several domain registrars in New Zealand that offer .co.nz domain registration services. OnlyDomains is one such registrar that provides a buyer’s guide to .co.nz domains on their blog. They offer a simple process for buying a .co.nz domain, which involves checking availability, choosing a registrar, and completing the registration process.
Before you can buy a .co.nz domain, you need to check if it’s available. OnlyDomains provides a domain name search tool on their website. Enter the desired domain name in the search box and click “Search”. The results will show if the domain name is available or already registered to someone else.
Choosing a Registrar
Choosing the right domain registrar is important when buying a .co.nz domain. OnlyDomains is a reputable registrar that offers competitive pricing and a range of domain management tools. Other popular domain registrars in New Zealand include Freeparking and Crazy Domains.
Completing the Registration Process
Once you’ve chosen a registrar, you can proceed with the registration process. This typically involves providing your contact information, choosing a domain name, and paying the registration fee.
OnlyDomains provides a step-by-step guide to registering a .co.nz domain on their blog.
costs associated with owning a .NZ domain
The costs associated with owning a .nz domain name can vary based on the registrar and the services included. Here are some details about the costs:
- Registration Prices: The wholesale fee for a .nz domain name is set at $18 per year, which is equivalent to $1.50 per month. However, the actual registration prices offered by registrars can range from $16.69 to $89.30 per year, as reported by various domain registrars.
- Renewal Fees: Renewal fees for .nz domains are typically similar to the registration fees, ranging from $16.69 to $89.30 per year, depending on the registrar.
- Hidden Costs and Upsells: When registering a .nz domain, it’s important to be aware of potential hidden costs and upsells. These may include administrative or miscellaneous fees, as well as additional charges for services such as domain privacy or email hosting.
- Transfer Fees: If you decide to transfer your .nz domain to a different registrar, the current provider should allow the transfer free of charge. They are not permitted to charge for generating your Unique Domain Authentication Identifier (UDAI) or impose an exit fee.
- Additional Services: Some registrars may offer free services such as mailboxes and web hosting packages when you register a .nz domain name.
- Renewal Notices: Registrants are typically sent renewal notices annually and are required to pay the renewal fee before the expiry date to maintain control of the domain.
- Registrar Choice: The cost of domain registration can vary between different registrars, so it’s important to consider the price, as well as the quality of service and additional features offered by the registrar.
The costs associated with owning a .nz domain name include the registration and renewal fees, potential hidden costs, and the price of additional services offered by the registrar.
Carefully review the pricing and terms of service when choosing a registrar for your .nz domain.
Performing a NZ domain name lookup is an essential step in the process of registering a .co.nz domain. By checking domain name availability and finding out who owns a .co.nz domain, you can identify potential domain names to register or negotiate with the current owner to purchase a registered domain. Once you’ve found an available domain or have completed negotiations with the current owner, you can proceed with buying the domain by choosing a registrar and completing the registration process.